- Created on Thursday, 02 March 2017 16:05
- Last Updated on Saturday, 10 June 2017 11:02
- Category: Profile
- Hits: 2120
Jesseca Liu (刘子绚, Liu Zi Xuan), born as Lao Chew Yen on February 13, 1979 in Langkawi Island, Kedah, Malaysia, is a Malaysian actress, singer and model. She is best known for her roles in Rhapsody in Blue, Kinship, Romantic Delicacies, Blessings and The Queen.
Chinese name: 刘子绚
Phonetic name: Liu Zi Xuan
English name: Jesseca Liu
Birth name: Lao Chew Yen (刘秋雁)
Other name: Liu Zhi Xuan (刘芷绚)
Birthdate: February 13, 1979
Birthplace: Langkawi Island, Kedah, Malaysia
Height: 172 cm
Weight: 49 kg
Zodiac sign: Aquarius
Education: Saito Academy
Occupation: Actress, singer, model
Label: Mediacorp (2004 - 2010), HIM International Music (2010)
Jesseca Liu was born in Langkawi, Malaysia, with the name Lao Chew Yen. She began modelling after graduating from Saito Academy in 2001. Languages often spoken by Liu are Cantonese, Mandarin, English and Malay. She finished second for a Malaysian beauty contest in 2001. Liu began acting in Malaysia in a few Chinese drama productions produced by Singapore-based companies.
Liu was spotted by a producer in MediaCorp in 2004 who offered her the meaty role of He Yi Xuan in the sports themed drama, The Champion, starring opposite Qi Yu Wu and Taiwanese actors Toro and Yan Xing Shu. She then began a career as a full-time actress in Singapore.
She snagged a role in the 100-episode drama series Portrait of Home in 2005. She played a Vietnamese bride Ruan Mianmian, and starred opposite veteran thespians Adrian Pang and Louise Lee. She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress and Most Popular Newcomer Award categories for the Star Awards 2005 ceremony with her role as Ruan Mianmian in Portrait of Home. She bagged the Most Popular Newcomer Award that year.
Her first lead role was Ding Yirou in Rhapsody in Blue in 2006. She was given opportunities to play lead roles thereafter. She filmed a movie by MediaCorp Raintree Pictures back in 2007 and it was scheduled to be screened in the second quarter of 2008. However, the screening of the movie was put to a halt due to copyright problems. Liu released a book diary, Jesseca's Diary (Chinese : 绚日记) in December 2007.
In March 2011, she starred in the Channel U blockbuster of the year Secrets For Sale, alongside Christopher Lee and Lin Meijiao. She played Jiaqi, a private investigator. The 13-episode serial was produced by Wawa productions and gained much favourable response from the viewers.
In October 2011, she went on to play the role of a medical doctor Yang Minfei in the medical-themed series The Oath, which is one of the highest rated series of the year. The drama also starred Christopher Lee, Ann Kok and Ix Shen. She continued to star in other Wawa productions, such as Game Plan and Disclosed, and wrote two episodes of Let It Go.
Liu's contract with MediaCorp expired in May 2010. She then went on to sign a contract with HIM International Music (Singapore) in the same year. Her first production under her new company was Channel U's 2010 feature film, Lost and Found 《小孩·狗》 with Taiwan's popular child star Xiao Xiao Bin and Taiwanese idol James Wen Sheng Hao. The film garnered the highest viewership amongst the other two feature films aired, starring Mediacorp actresses Joanne Peh and Felicia Chin respectively.
She then filmed Mediacorp Channel U's 2011 blockbuster drama, Secrets For Sale 《拍·卖》 as the lead actress alongside Mediacorp actors Christopher Lee and Thomas Ong. The drama was well-accepted by the audience in Singapore.
Together with Olivia Ong, she sang the theme song for The Silver Tribute Charity Night which was aired "live" on MediaCorp Channel 8 on 5 June 2011. This marked her first appearance on a live programme since Star Awards 2010.
Liu recently signed a new acting contract with Mediacorp in 2015, rendering her eligible for the Top 20 Most Popular Female Artistes nominations. She was last nominated in 2010. Prior to this, she starred in three Mediacorp drama series: Yours Fatefully, Blessings and Hand In Hand.
Today, she is one of the "seven princesses" in Mediacorp, together with Jeanette Aw, Rui En, Felicia Chin, Joanne Peh, Fiona Xie and Dawn Yeoh. Liu has an official fan club called Jesstify. She is a contracted artiste under MediaCorp, and sings under HIM International Music.
- Eat Already? 2 (MediaCorp, 2017)
- Hero (MediaCorp, 2016)
- The Queen (MediaCorp, 2016)
- Hand In Hand (MediaCorp, 2015)
- Accidental Agents (2015)
- Three Wishes (MediaCorp, 2014)
- Who Killed The Lead (2014)
- Blessings (MediaCorp, 2014)
- Served H.O.T. (2014)
- Disclosed (MediaCorp, 2013)
- Marry Me (2013)
- Game Plan (MediaCorp, 2012)
- Yours Fatefully (MediaCorp, 2012)
- In Time With You (GTV, 2011)
- New Beginnings (MediaCorp, 2010)
- Baby Bonus (MediaCorp, 2009)
- Romantic Delicacies (MediaCorp, 2009)
- The Dream Catchers (MediaCorp, 2009)
- Crime Busters x2 (MediaCorp, 2008)
- Beach.Ball.Babes (MediaCorp, 2008)
- Rhythm of Life (Mediacorp, 2008)
- Kinship II (Mediacorp, 2007)
- Kinship (Mediacorp, 2007)
- Mars vs Venus (Mediacorp, 2007)
- Falling in Love (ntv7/MediaCorp, 2006)
- Through It All (MediaCorp, 2006)
- Women of Times (MediaCorp, 2006)
- Rhapsody in Blue (MediaCorp, 2006)
- Portrait of Home II (MediaCorp, 2005)
- Portrait of Home (MediaCorp, 2005)
- My Lucky Charm (MediaCorp, 2004)
- The Champion (MediaCorp, 2004)
- Lost and Found 《小孩·狗》 as Li Zi Xuan 《李子萱》 (2011)
- Star Awards 2016: Top Ten Most Popular Female Artiste
- Star Awards 2013: Nominated Favourite Onscreen Couple (Game Plan)
- Star Awards 2012: Nominated Favourite Onscreen Couple (The Oath)
- Star Awards 2010: Nominated Favourite Female Character (The Oath)
- Star Awards 2010: Nominated Favourite Female Character (The Dream Catchers)
- Star Awards 2010: Top Ten Most Popular Female Artiste
- Star Awards 2009: Top Ten Most Popular Female Artistes
- Star Awards 2007: Top Ten Most Popular Female Artistes
- Star Awards 2007: Nominated Best Actress (Kinship)
- Star Awards 2006: Top Ten Most Popular Female Artistes
- Star Awards 2006: Nominated Best Actress (Rhapsody In Blue)
- Star Awards 2005: Nominated Best Supporting Actress (Portrait of Home)
- Star Awards 2005: Most Popular Newcomer