- Created on Wednesday, 21 December 2016 21:11
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 31 January 2017 19:46
- Category: Profile
- Hits: 2480
Hawick Lau (traditional Chinese name: 劉愷威, simplified Chinese name: 刘恺威, Lau Hoi Wai), born on October 13, 1974 in Hong Kong, is a Hong Kong actor and singer. He is best known for his roles in TVB series such as Lee Tian An in A Kindred Spirit (1995), Yuen Sau in Virtues of Harmony (2001) and Freeman Man in My Family (2005).
Traditional Chinese name: 劉愷威
Simplified Chinese name: 刘恺威
Phonetic name: Lau Hoi Wai
English name: Hawick Lau
Birthdate: October 13, 1974
Birthplace: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Height: 178 cm
Weight: 70 kg
Blood type: B
Zodiac sign: Libra
Hobby: Singing, watching movies, playing the guitar
Education: Ryerson Polytechnic University
Occupation: Actor, singer
Label: TVB (1994-2004), Hawick Lau Studio
Spouse: Yang Mi
Children: Noemie Lau (daughter)
Hawick debuted in the 1995 drama A Kindred Spirit. He starred alongside his father Lau Dan in the drama, co-incidentally portraying father and son. The same year, he signed on with Hong Kong's Sony Music as a singer.
Hawick continued acting in Hong Kong dramas and started to gain fame locally. In 2000, he starred in youth romance drama Aiming High with Nicholas Tse. He also had a supporting role in epic financial thriller At the Threshold of an Era. From 2001 to 2002, he starred in the historical sitcom Virtues of Harmony and later its sequel in 2003, which had a modern twist. In January 2005, he starred in modern comedy drama My Family, in his first leading role.
TVB named him as one of the 5 Fresh Tigers – a group of promising young actors that the network pushed to become stars.
In 2005, after having a significant amount of success at TVB, he left the company and traveled to mainland China, Taiwan and Singapore, where he participated in some of the productions. He filmed his first Mainland production The Hui Merchants of Qing (which aired in 2007). He also starred in the Mediacorp production Destiny; following which he participated in the Taiwanese drama Letter 1949.
In April 2006, Hawick signed with ATV, the other main television station and production studio in Hong Kong for one year. In November 2006, Hawick's first series with ATV, No Turning Back began airing.
In order to fully immerse himself into the Chinese market, Hawick insisted on speaking Mandarin Chinese instead of Cantonese for his media appearances. He started to gain attention from the Chinese audiences for his appearance in the 2008 drama Royal Embroidery Workshop. Following which, he won the Audience's Most Favorite Actor Award at the Annual Fujian TV Station I Love My Drama award ceremony in 2009.
In 2009, he starred in the republican drama Niang Qi, which won him the Best Actor Award at the Jiangsu TV Drama Awards.
Hawick gained mainstream popularity after starring in romance angst drama Sealed With a Kiss, gaining recognition from his portrayal of Mo Shaoqian, who was likened to the Asian version of Christian Grey.
In 2012, Hawick starred in the romantic comedy film Holding Love alongside Yang Mi. The movie was released on the day of Qixi Festival, also known as Chinese Valentine’s Day, and topped the box office charts.
Hawick then established his personal studio, and took on the role of a producer for the first time in the contemporary romance drama A Clear Midsummer Night. The drama aired in 2013 and quickly became popular with the audience, becoming the first drama in 2013 to surpass 100 million views. In April, he starred in the drama version of the 2012 hit movie Painted Skin: The Resurrection. His performance in the series won him the Best Actor in the Ancient Drama genre at the 13th Huading Awards. In August 2013, he returned to TVB, filming the Hong Kong-China joint production Master of Destiny, which aired in 2015.
In 2014, he starred opposite Zhao Liying in The Wife's Secret. The drama achieved high ratings.
In 2015, Hawick paired up with Tiffany Tang in the idol drama Lady & Liar, which broke records to become the most viewed republic era period drama online. His character Bai Zhengqing was popular with the audience, and gained him a large number of fans. Following Lady & Liar, Hawick then starred in The Cage of Love, written by famed writer Tong Hua.
In 2016, Hawick starred in period romance drama Chronicle of Life, portraying the Kangxi Emperor. The series gained huge popularity upon its premiere, placing #1 in ratings nationally for 16 days. In April, the second production by Hawick's studio, entitled Road to the North premiered on CNTV.
- The Legend of Jade Sword 莽荒纪 (post-production)
- Full Love 周末父母 (post-production)
- The Legend of Flying Daggers 飞刀又见飞刀 (Youku, 2016)
- Ning Meng Chu Shang 柠檬初上 (2016)
- Road to the North 一念向北 (2016)
- Chronicle of Life (2016)
- Master of Destiny (2015)
- Liang Sheng Hua as Qin Mo (JSTV, 2015)
- The Cage of Love as Jiang Yu (2015)
- The Lady and the Liar as Bai Zhengjie (2015)
- Painted Skin II as Wang Ying
- Clear Midsummer Night as Qiao JinFan (Hunan TV, 2013)
- Ji Mo Kong Ting Chun Yu Wan as Kang Xi (2013)
- Gong 3 as Hong Li (Hunan TV, 2013)
- In Love With Power as Hong Taiji (JSTV, 2012)
- Ru Yi as Tan Ming Kai (ZJTV, 2012)
- Qian Shan Mu Xue as Mo Shao Qian (Hunan TV, 2011)
- Da Tang Nu Jiang Fan Li Hua 大唐女将樊梨花 as Xue Ding Shan (2011)
- Pu Ti Shu Xia as Long Wu Sheng (2011)
- Spell of the Fragrance (2010)
- Happy Mother-In-Law, Pretty Daughter-In-Law (2010)
- Niang Qi 娘妻 (2009)
- Letter 1949 (CTS, 2009)
- Feng Chuan Mu Dan (2008)
- Yi Qian Di Yan Lei as Jiang Hao Tian (2008)
- Shun Niang as Chen Wu Qiu (2007)
- Da Qing Hui Shang 大清徽商 as Chen Yuan Liang (2007)
- Huan Zi Cheng Long as Chen Tian Xiong (2007)
- Relentless Justice (ATV, 2006)
- Destiny (Mediacorp, 2005)
- My Family (TVB, 2005)
- Shades of Truth (TVB, 2004)
- ICAC Investigators (TVB, 2004)
- Hard Fate (TVB, 2004)
- Virtues of Harmony II (TVB, 2003)
- Law Enforcers (TVB, 2001)
- Virtues of Harmony (TVB, 2001)
- At the Threshold of an Era II (TVB, 2000)
- Aiming High (TVB, 2000)
- ICAC Investigators (TVB, 2000)
- At the Threshold of an Era (TVB, 1999)
- Untraceable Evidence II (TVB, 1999)
- Mystery Files (TVB, 1997)
- A Kindred Spirit (TVB, 1995-1999)
- You Are My Sunshine (2015)
- Love in Summer (2013)
- Olympic Cool Knowledge (2012)
- Holding Love (2012)
- Irrversi (2009)
- Bless the Child (2003)
- Honesty (2003)
- Spy Dad (2003)
- Love Correction (2000)
- Dragon and Phoenix (2000)
- Ming Tian Hui Zen Yang (明天会怎样), Ru Yi insert song (2012)
- Cuo Guai (错怪), Ru Yi ending theme song, with Yang Mi (2012)
- Qian Shan (千山) A Thousand Mountains, Qian Shan Mu Xue opening theme song (2011)