- Created on Tuesday, 29 August 2017 10:42
- Last Updated on Thursday, 31 August 2017 09:22
- Category: Movies
- Hits: 616
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (臥虎藏龍, Wo Hu Cang Long), is a 2000 Chinese film adapted from Wang Dulu's novel of the same title, directed by Ang Lee. It was first released in France by Columbia Pictures on May 16, 2000.
Original title (Chinese): 臥虎藏龍
Phonetic title: Wo Hu Cang Long
English title: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Language: Mandarin, English
Country: China / United States
Runtime: 120 minutes
Genre: Period film, Wuxia film, Romantic film
Director: Ang Lee
Scriptwriter: Wang Hui-Ling, James Schamus, Tsai Kuo Jung
Producer: Bill Kong, Hsu Li-kong, Ang Lee
Production company: China Film, Columbia Pictures
Distribution company: Columbia Pictures
Release date: May 16, 2000
In 19th century Qing Dynasty China, a warrior gives his sword, Green Destiny, to his lover to deliver to safe keeping, but it is stolen, and the chase is on to find it. The search leads to the House of Yu where the story takes on a whole different level.
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is a timeless story that takes place in Qing China when miracles were credible and spirits and gods were present in man's world. It is not unbelievable that zen warriors float through the air, skim the water and battle in trees and on rooftops. Pain, revenge and duty are the stuff that bind us in this world and are the main plot line of the movie, but in the afterlife love and faith linger on.
Li is a great warrior, famous throughout Qing China for his adventurus life. He decides to give his powerful, ancient sword as a gift to an old friend of his, but soon the sword is stolen by a mysterious master of the martial arts. Now, it's up to Li to uncover the thief and return the sword to its rightful owner.
Li Mu Bai, a great warrior decides to turn in his sword, the Green Destiny to a treasured friend. When the sword is then stolen, it is up to him to retrieve it. At the same time he is trying to avenge his master's death by the evil Jade Fox. He is joined in his quest by Shu Lien, the un-conceded love of his life. During all of this, they are introduced to Jiao Long Yu, the mysterious and beautiful daughter of a well known family. She is the mysterious link to all these tales. But through all the many subplots, this is in essence, a love story.
A young Chinese warrior steals a sword from a famed swordsman and then escapes into a world of romantic adventure with a mysterious man in the frontier of the nation.
- Chow Yun-fat as Li Mu Bai (C: 李慕白, P: Lǐ Mùbái)
- Michelle Yeoh as Yu Shu Lien (T: 俞秀蓮, S: 俞秀莲, P: Yú Xiùlián)
- Zhang Ziyi as Jen Yu (English subtitled version) / Yu Jiaolong (English dubbed version) (T: 玉嬌龍, S: 玉娇龙, P: Yù Jiāolóng)
- Chang Chen as Lo "Dark Cloud" (English subtitled version) / Luo Xiaohu (English dubbed version) (T: 羅小虎, S: 罗小虎, P: Luó Xiǎohǔ)
- Cheng Pei-pei as Jade Fox (C: 碧眼狐狸, P: Bìyǎn Húli)
- Sihung Lung as Sir Te (T: 貝勒爺, C: 贝勒爷, P: Bèi-lèyé)
- Li Fazeng as Governor Yu
- Gao Xi'an as Bo
- Hai Yan as Madam Yu
- Wang Deming as Police inspector Tsai / Prefect Cai Qiu
- Li Li as May, Tsai's daughter
- Huang Suying as Aunt Wu
- Yang Rui as Maid
- Li Kai as Gou Jun Pei
- Feng Jianhua as Gou Jun Sinung
- Ma Zhongxuan as Mi Biao
- Li Baocheng as Fung Machete Chang
- Yang Yongde as Monk Jing
- Zhang Shaocheng as Nightman